Monday 23 March 2015

Words from the Chair - Specifier: February 2015

Hello everyone, I am donating my column space for the recognition of and tribute to Mr. Jim Dunsmore, a longtime member and supporter of this chapter and association. I am a better person having known him these last 20 years. I am sure that wherever he is, it is a better, brighter place!

Kimberly Tompkins, CTR
Chapter Chair
CSC – Vancouver Chapter


It is with a heavy heart that I write a few words about the loss of my friend and mentor Jim Dunsmore. I know there are many in our industry who have had the good fortune to enjoy Jim’s generous and outspoken nature, his quirky sense of humour and insatiable thirst for fun.

As a relative new comer some 12 years ago, I credit Jim’s patience and encouragement for helping me grow and to better understand the building and construction industry.

As many will attest, Jim was always approachable and never short of an opinion or gentle piece of advice.

Giving back to our industry and helping to develop “fresh blood” was either consciously or subconsciously in Jim’s DNA.

Over the years, Jim and Christy have grown to be more than just industry colleagues but rather close family friends with both getting to know my wife and girls and as well as some of my extended family. We have numerous memories shared over the years but one in particular stands out to me. One summer early in our budding relationship, Jim was enlisted by my wife Tammy to distract me with a round of golf while she organized a surprise birthday party. Now I must admit that Jim and I both have always had erratic golf games that ebb and flow from promising to horrendous from hole to hole and sometimes even shot to shot! During this particular round, Jim’s game was trending down somewhat more than usual with no bounce-back in sight. It wasn’t until the 16th when he took out his lob wedge to take care of a 6 foot putt that we knew it was time for some Sunny D!

As we think back about Jim and what he has meant to us let us embrace and pay forward those qualities Jim exuded: courage in the face of life’s challenges, giving back, getting involved, welcoming and encouraging others, appreciating what and who you have in your life and of course, always having fun.

I know that many of us have reached out to Christy and will continue to make sure she understands the legacy and impact Jim has had on all of our lives.

—Les Yard

Jim was my mentor, a friend and peer. When I was learning to be a specification writer and especially when I became an independent spec writer and needed assistance, I was never afraid to give Jim a call, because he was always willing to help anyway he could. Jim had a quirky sense of humour and always kept everyone entertained. We will surely miss him, my warmest condolences to Christi.

—Ted Wetmore

One of the most entertaining golf rounds in of my life was with Jim Dunsmore and Jim Findlay at one of my first CSC Golf Tournaments. I can’t remember the year but this dynamic dual had our foursome in stitches from start to finish. We even managed a very respectable score even after contributing generously to the most balls lost category. I was so pleased to spend some time with Jim and Christie at last years CST Golf Tournament event. We had fun reminiscing over all the good times and once again we where both laughing and smiling ear to ear. Jim loved to golf and even more to make people laugh with his tenacious sense of humour. Jim was just fun to be around. What a great professional and all round wonderful guy to work with as well. Today my thoughts are
with you both, Jim and Christy.

—Dean Connie

Jim Dunsmore, What can I say, words seem so insufficient...

He was a very passionate man, passionate about his work, and his love of life. Whenever I spoke to him of matters Specifications – the grouch would show, and his concerns about how poor were the relationships between the Specifier and those Architects/Designers. He was convinced that they thought Specifiers were mind readers. I did not have the honour of having him on one of my projects, but got to know him best through both CSC and some social ventures.

Ah! Social ventures…those were fun, and times when Jim and his ever supportive and beautiful partner Christie would truly shine. Bev and I were enticed to join a dance studio by our daughter, ostensibly so the old goat would be able to do the Father Daughter dance at her wedding. We had a ball! As in loads of fun. A couple of times during the time we were dancing, we had “dress up or costume” dances. Jim and Christie would be there in full costume complete with wigs etc...Jim often in drag, and except for the 5 o’clock shadow was very striking.

The last time I saw Jim was one evening in November. I went to visit my Mother-in-law at Royal Columbian, and took a side trip to see if Jim was in for his regular dialysis and he was. I learned of his pending Kidney Transplant, and between Christie, Jim and I we reminisced about the costume dances. Knowing that the donor was a woman dance studio friend, we speculated about the transference of the likes and dislikes that might occur. This particular friend was fond of leopard skin prints and we wondered if Jim might also become so inclined.

We will miss Jim, and all that he brought to our lives.

—David McGuigan

I had the opportunity to work with Jim indirectly through our Vancouver office on a number of projects back in the early and mid nineties. I also had the pleasure of many a good conversation at CSC Board of Directors meetings with Jim (the CSC Vancouver Chapter representative from the other side of the rock pile as he described himself), and meeting with him at Vancouver Chapter breakfast meetings over the years, when I was asked to participate as guest speaker on various subjects.

Very sorry to hear of his passing.

—Peter Semchuk

Download the entire issue for this article and more.
For more issues, visit our website or visit our archive for past issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment